The book drive finished yesterday and it was successfull - over 200 books were donated. Nathan came to help me move them but arrived at the end. Of all days, the lift in S block failed so a kind girl from Marketing told me to store the books in the Loading dock, so that is where they are at the moment.
The Staff Christmas party - first, last and only one for the ELEPC - was a held at Swish, a new restaurant that had aspirations of grandeur - and charges to match. The meal was canapes and a main @ $25. Desert, drinks and coffee were extra! Three mains were brought out - chilli prawns, pasta carbonnara and beef tartare. The chilli was 'hot' the beef 'raw' and the carbonnara was OK (that is what I got). The chef had cut the ham with a machette it seemed as there were lumps of gristle in it.
The Dean came and I took the opportunity of thanking him for his support for the Book Drive and he immediately said he had some books to give. He was kind enough to allow Peter and me to come back to the uni with him as Ian was not returning to work, and I had organized to move the books from the library. It took three trips with the trolley loaded with three boxes each time. Lots of good hard cover reference, texts on a range of topics are included so they should be a good addition to the prison libraries. I have engaged a woman to type the details of the books and then we can keep a record of what goes where and have the prisons keep a record of how useful the books are. It would be silly to send stuff that they do not want.
Peter has had a testicle removed that was cancerous and he starts Chemo on Monday. He has to have more scans to see if there are any loose cells and if there are then he needs more chemo than the single dose that is on the cards now. I do hope he is found not to have any other signs. He is so young! His children are 5- Hamish and 2 - ? I must find out this.
Hugh has just had emergency surgery for gall bladder disease - bladder was full of gall stones and very dangerous - it had begun to be gangrenous. The Dr said 'Your husband has no right to be as healthy as he is!' because despite this situation he had no fever, no serious infection - just the pain, which was bad. The chap who did the ultrasound said 'You have a problem!' and the surgeon rang and told Hugh 'I have a slot at 4pm, and suggest you take it.' So he did. Recovery has been rapid and he was discharged from hospital on Thursday morning. Now he is well, with no infection and the key-holes are just a bit tender with no ongoing pain.
Today, Saturday, we drove out to Acland to a farm where the Ferguson tractor, the spray outfit and the tractor accoutrements were in an auction. Richard had taken on the work of getting them ready when Hugh went to hospital, and it was so good of him. All the stuff sold, which was great as the money can be used for the garden, and I believe Richard enjoyed the task. He is getting bored and needs another project.
I also need a project at home. I just need to focus on one thing at a time.
A list of projects:
1 Make bed cover from material I have.
2 Finish the quilt - green & white.
3 Start painting again.
4 Winnow the books
5 write down my early morning dreams - they are interesting situations that could be used to create stories.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment